I’ve been doing a lot of research and I’ve taken several classes on scrapbook layout design. I’ve come up with 5 key elements that I like to include on all of my layouts or in each double page layout.
These 5 items include:
- Canvas (layout background)
- Ephemera (the “jewelry”)
I scrapbook to tell my story and my family’s story. I want my layout to convey an event or a moment in time that I want us to remember.
I always try to start with the photos or the potential photos a soon-to-be event will create. If I’m making my layout for a future event, I plan for the photos and add photo place holders cut to size for the photos I hope to include.
I also want the layout to have the name of the event (title), the date, and the people involved at the very least. I may want to include several thoughts or memories of the event which I will usually write directly on the page with a journaling pen.
This means that I want all eyes on my photo and then my journaling! I always use my ephemera to draw your attention to my focal point which is almost always my main photo!
I used the Close To My Heart Now & Forever scrapbook workshop kit to create two layouts with my favorite layout. You will find a printable version of the layout sketch below!
I purchased the workshop kit with the stamp set and thin cuts and I’m so glad that I did that. I created a huge pile of flowers, butterflies, hearts, and other ephemera using th estamp and die set. I use almost all of the ephemera that I made.
I also pulled out a couple of my thin cut tags and tabs dies to create pretty tags and tabs that you can see included on these two layouts.
How did I do with the key elements on this double page layout?
- Photos: I included two photo place holders. I made one a portrait orientation and the other landscape.
- Canvas: I used my favorite scrapbook layout. I love the L-shaped layout with the photo nestled in the corner where the two papers meet! See the sketch below!
- Embellishments: My favorite part! I created a lot of my own ephemera and added some stickers and embroidery elements from the workshop kit.
- Title: I used a pretty wood laser cut work piece for my title. At this point, I had used all of the pre-made sticker title pieces that came in the kit!
- Journaling: The journaling will be added by the recipient of this album when they add in their photos. I used a piece of the ledger patterned paper below the photos on each page. This makes a perfect spot to add journaling, along with that pretty white heart on the first layout that I shared.
You can get the printable PDF of the sketches and sample layouts here: 2023 Sketches Stamping Imperfection Now & Forever Go To Layout
Are you interested in the products I used? To make them easier for you to find, I have linked them below. (Affiliate disclosure ) As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Your purchases help keep my blog running at no additional cost to you and I thank you for the support!
Now & Forever Scrapbooking Workshop Kit with Stamp and Thin Cuts: https://kimskinner.closetomyheart.com/retail/product.aspx?sku=CC12228
CTMH Ballerina Ink Pad: https://kimskinner.closetomyheart.com/retail/Product.aspx?ItemID=11309&ci=11875
Die Cutting and Embossing Machine: https://kimskinner.closetomyheart.com/retail/Product.aspx?ItemID=15720
Non-Stick Paper Snips: https://kimskinner.closetomyheart.com/retail/Product.aspx?ItemID=7190&ci=15523
Tombow Liquid Adhesive: https://kimskinner.closetomyheart.com/retail/Product.aspx?ItemID=12566
All Purpose Teflon Mat: https://kimskinner.closetomyheart.com/Retail/Product.aspx?ItemID=8035&ci=15485
Tags and Tabs Thin Cuts: https://kimskinner.closetomyheart.com/Retail/Product.aspx?ItemID=13752&ci=17763
All Purpose Tags Thin Cuts: https://kimskinner.closetomyheart.com/Retail/Product.aspx?ItemID=17158&ci=25374
Non-stick paper snip scissors: Non-stick Micro-tip Scissors (Z1836) | Close To My Heart
Thank you for dropping by! I hope you are finding my scrapbook layouts and videos to be inspiring! I love documenting my story!!